The last month has been mainly about wood and power tools. We've been working towards raising the roof of the largest pod. After the shoulder beams, the ceiling joists and rafters were the next structural framing to put in place.
The framing uses pretty traditional construction techniques so we won't go into a lot of detail, but the roof is super important so we can't leave it out either.
We cut a notch in the ceiling joists to help keep the shoulder beams nice and parallel. The notch combined with the birdsmouth cut on the rafter keeps the beams from warping as they dry. (We used freshly milled local lumber for our shoulder beams.)
We're cutting corners!
We cut arches into the rafters at the top of the stairs to create a greater feeling of head space.
With the rafters pre-cut, they went up fast. Here it is later that day (June 12th). All of this was the result of a crew of 2-3 carpenters and a less-skilled helper working ~5-6 hrs/day for a week. It's starting to look like a roof.
Another reason to smile.